I learned much this weekend about my family history that I hope to share with you in the posts ahead. Today, I have reprinted a prayer, written by my great-grandfather's grandfather, a man not known for his godly lifestyle as much as for his temper and his wild living. Notice from where this prayer was written.
Prayer of George Richard Gautier I
(1839-1924)
Written in Rusk Penitentiary ca. 1893
Oh, our Father who art ruler of earth and heaven, and who sent the Redeemer, our Savior Jesus, here on earth to redeem men, I know that I am one that is tired of sin. Would thou listen to one who is pleading for help now while I am out here alone on my bended knees, just turned loose from prison today? Oh, God, while I can look into the prison walls and see them all at work there, wilt though spare me to be a free man once more? God it is not me. I do not wish to live such a life – am I like Paul, used for a purpose? You know my heart, you know my tempter, help me to prove myself, you know my temper, help me to prove myself. You are the only one who knows me. It is said you are a forgiver of sins – forgive me, oh, God! I am at your mercy, forgive! Away from every tie, every friend, on my knees. Mete out the fountain of grace and love – let me feel thy power! Oh, God, let me drink from the fountain of pure love, let it come down! I feel like I am lost forever. God bear me through! I want religion now – right now! Change me. I will honor and praise thee forever and ever. Put me like Paul working for you, praising your name. Save – for I am lost! I feel like flying off to realms above. God, teach me the way I should go. I ask for Jesus’ sake. Amen.
No comments:
Post a Comment