Friday, February 08, 2008

ALL the time

Recently a friend reminded me of a very simple truth with a new inflection. It was in the middle of a crazy week, and I was struggling with circumstances around me. She listened patiently, then stated simply, "Kristen, God is good ALL the time."
I've thought about that a lot ever since she said it. I've even repeated it to others. And, last night, as I lay down to sleep, I thought about it again.
You see, for a variety of reasons, I expected yesterday to be one of those really fabulous days from the Lord, filled with abundant jump-up-and-down-for-joy blessings. I just did. But, as the day closed, and I lay in bed before 10:00, with an all over ache that made me nervous about my own health, and I reflected on the day itself, I couldn't come up with anything particularly wonderful to say about the day. It wasn't a bad one by any means, but neither did it seem particularly remarkable. The words played through my head again. "God is good ALL the time." Even when I can't see it? Even when I can't feel it? Then, I thought about something I have told our Bible study many, many times. "Faith is believing that God is good despite all evidence to the contrary." Faith is believing that God is good when circumstances look bad. Faith is believing that God is good when His hand over a matter isn't apparent. Faith is believing that God is good when there's nothing extraordinary about a day that I expected to be fabulous. Faith is believing that even though I didn't see evidence of greatness yesterday, God was working for my good.

No comments: