I leave for Peru next week. I will be traveling with five others into the Amazonian jungle for the purpose of strengthening and encouraging the young believers there, teaching them about baptism and the Lord's Supper. I am so excited, but I've also been very nervous.
Yes, I have a degree in Spanish. Yes, I survived three months in Mexico a few years ago. Yes, I use my Spanish pretty often in my work here. But still. Me? Really? Surely, there's someone else, someone better. Surely.
I tried to explain all of this to God. I tried to tell Him that He has picked the wrong girl. I tried to help Him see and understand all the benefits of picking a better missionary. But, He just said, "Go."
So, I'm writing to warn you. If He can use me, you better watch out. I'm pretty sure He can use ANYone!
At least I'm in good company with all these doubts and fears. Check out the prophet Jeremiah's calling:
Jeremiah 1:4-10
4 The word of the LORD came to me, saying,
5 "Before I formed you in the womb I knew you,
before you were born I set you apart;
I appointed you as a prophet to the nations."
6 "Ah, Sovereign LORD," I said, "I do not know how to speak; I am only a child."
7 But the LORD said to me, "Do not say, 'I am only a child.' You must go to everyone I send you to and say whatever I command you. 8 Do not be afraid of them, for I am with you and will rescue you," declares the LORD.
9 Then the LORD reached out his hand and touched my mouth and said to me, "Now, I have put my words in your mouth. 10 See, today I appoint you over nations and kingdoms to uproot and tear down, to destroy and overthrow, to build and to plant."
3 comments:
Hey Girl,
It always takes me a long time to reply. It has been so great getting back in touch with you! I just can't believe what a small world it is. We are enjoying the friendship with Kimbo and Jeremy. We just hit it off from the beginning. We are blessed to have them. Look forward to seeing you soon!!
How did I miss the fact that you have a blog? And can you come with us to Mexico this summer on mission?
No, I'm not kidding.
haha... there is no such thing as a "good" one, just willing-to-be-used-by-Him ones. and wow, that doesn't always make one look good. i suppose that's the point -- to give Him the glory instead.
i'm glad you're one of the willing. :-)
love you girl.
Post a Comment