Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Self-Discovery

Last week, while getting acquainted with some new friends, the question was asked, "What would you order if you could choose your last meal?" It's a simple question, a silly conversation starter. I was so fascinated by those who could answer without the slightest pause, not just what they'd have but where it would come from. I still don't have a solid answer, but I'm working on it ...
I spent the majority of my first 27 years learning how to please other people, becoming a master at keeping others happy. If I had an opinion about something important, I rarely expressed it. And, sometimes, I even downplayed my opinion about unimportant things.
Tonight, as I prepared to enjoy a very quiet evening at home by myself, it occurred to me that, at just past 30, I'm finally discovering how to enjoy the things that please me most. And, I'm discovering that the things that please me are the simplest of pleasures. It's rewarding and comforting to begin to recognize my preferences for everything from pasta to hand cream, wrapping paper to bubble bath, radio stations to men. I still have precious few preferences that I would not gladly surrender in favor of another's comfort, but there is something satisfying about identifying my personal preferences and being able to articulate them, if even for just myself.

2 comments:

Trigun said...

Blue Cheese Steak and garlic mashed potatoes for me please! With a Captain and Coke.

kh123 said...

I tend to be the other extreme- I know what I want and want it now. Just like the brat on the original willy wonka "give it to me now!"