This week, I heard from a friend with whom I haven't spoken in close to 5 years. She was once a daily part of my life, the person I went to when my heart was broken and I couldn't stop the tears. She was the one who took it upon herself to defend my sanity and confront that boy who'd handled my heart so carelessly. She has a laugh that rivals my own in volume, and she is a worshipper with the voice of an angel.
This week, when she contacted me, she had to reintroduce herself. Her number was unknown to my phone. With over a thousand names in my phone, hers was missing. Seems so strange when I think of it now.
I'm not sure how to explain why we lost touch. All the usual excuses I guess. Life. Moves. Marriage. Kids. And, honestly, hurts. My feelings got hurt (probably hers did, too), and it seemed easier to let life get in the way than do the work to repair the damage.
The funny thing is, when I saw her name, it was as though I could hear her voice, so familiar. I knew she'd gone out of her way to make an effort, and I could no longer remember why I let go. It didn't matter. My friend, my close friend, was reaching out, and I wanted to know her again. I wanted to hear about her life, her family, her heart.
Most people would say I'm good at relationships. The getting to know people, the making memories, the being personal and personable, the keeping in touch. It comes naturally most of the time. I genuinely like people, find being with others energizing. But, I have a few regrets. People I let go of too easily. Ones for whom I did not fight more fiercely. This week, I feel as though I've been given a rare second chance to love well, and I intend to make the most of it.
No comments:
Post a Comment