Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Thirty for 30!: Ride Your Bike


Last week I got schooled by a 79 year old man on a bicycle! I was finishing up my ride for the day, struggling in my last mile coming up to the house when a white bearded man on a gorgeous performance bike pulled up next to me and my wal-mart speed racer. After a gentle lecture about always traveling with water, he proceeded to ride alongside me, visiting about bike riding, his 9 years' experience riding for Team in Training, and how this year's ride in Tucson will likely be his last. "Why?" I wondered allowed -- that whole nosy thing, you know. I seriously about wrecked my bike when he answered, "Well, at 79, I figure I'll have to stop sometime, and this year, I'm actually starting to feel the strain of training." Wow!
It'll be a while before me and my Walmart special are ready for 109 miles around Tucson, but on October 18, there's a more local opportunity to support a great cause. Tour de Cure is a bike ride around Texas Motor Speedway benefitting the American Diabetes Association. And, they've got events going on around the country! Check them out!

No comments: