Friday, March 26, 2010

Is the Spiritual also Practical?

There are spiritual answers to this question, of course, but I am talking about something more practical. ~ Donald Miller


I read this statement in Donald Miller's blog entry this morning, and paused long and hard over it.  It bothers me.  A lot.  I need spiritual things to be practical.  


To be fair, this statement was not Miller's thesis.  It was his launching spot.  He was on his way to making another point entirely.  I do not intend to discredit or demean him or his writing with this post.  I share the quote only to provide you with background for my own thoughts this morning.  I guess, in a way, it's my launching spot today, too. I'm just headed in a different direction.


Scripture has got to have practical application.  Spiritual truth has to be practical.  If not, what's the point?  Why study it?  Why meditate on it?  Why memorize it?  If God's Word is going to offer me admonition without direction, it's incomplete.  


If prayer is not practical.  Why pray?


But, it is.  It is practical!  It does matter.  It has to -- the implications of anything else are catastrophic.  


Almost every day I pray, "Lord, teach me to love what you love, and to hate what you hate."  If that prayer isn't practical, why say it?  If I don't believe the Holy Spirit dwelling in me has the power and desire to answer that prayer, to steer my thoughts and affections toward things that are pleasing to God and away from things that aren't, why waste my breath?  And, if I don't believe there are practical answers in Scripture to help me discover what those things are, why read it.  If someone else, something else can tell me what pleases or displeases God, why study His Word.  


So, then the answer becomes, "Well, God's Word can tell us that love for others pleases God and that jealousy toward others displeases Him, but we might need some practical help figuring out how to apply those things."  Do we?  Really?  Or, are we lazy?  Lazy students of scripture?  O, God, make us diligent students of your Word!  


I guess the statement about there being something more practical than "spiritual answers" set me off today because of how firmly confident I am that there is nothing more practical than the Spiritual.  Attempting to separate the two fails us both spiritually and practically.  I have devoted much of my life to teaching women how to love God's Word, how to saturate their lives in Biblical, Spiritual truth.  


You know what?  It even has something to say about this for itself!  Check out I Timothy 4:8, "For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come."

1 comment:

Barb said...

Well said! Preach it, sister! Wait, don't "preach it", you might get in trouble. ;)