1. He showed up at dinner with a mini satellite TV in his shirt pocket. FOX News was glowing from his chest, and blaring, but he was so wound up, he didn't even hear it, just kept talking over it until we asked him to turn it down. Then, he muted the TV but left it turned on and kept right on talking. Karen captured the moment for me -- if you look closely at Papa's left shirt pocket, you'll see what I'm talking about. (Pay no attention to Gina -- not only is she the bride, today was also her birthday, so she was hamming it up!)

2. Papa was so excited about meeting new "family" -- Gina's in-laws -- that he talked nonstop throughout our entire meal. The rest of us were eating ice cream before he'd even looked down to take a bite. At one point, Uncle Vance, stole his plate. When Papa looked down, a little confused, Nana asked him, "Gene, did you eat your sandwich?" And he honestly said, "I don't know. I think I might have." LOL! We packed the sandwich up in a to-go box, and he brought it home, then offered it to me as a late night snack -- it's still sitting on the counter.
3. On the ride home from dinner Papa informed me that he's got someone he wants me to meet. I'm thinking a lady in their church who does women's ministry or something like this ... He then proceeds to tell me about a "fine young man" in their congregation that loves Jesus. Papa knows this because this man carries his Bible with him (to church) and it looks like it's been used. He hopes this man will come to Gina's wedding because Papa invited him. Those of you who think match-making parents are trouble -- just wait till your grandparents get in on the game!
4. At the house, where Nana and Papa have lived for a good 25 years, he proceeded to show me the way around, including lessons on how to leave the light on in the bathroom in case I think I might need it in the middle of the night, how to turn the a/c up and down, and how to use their home phone (even after I told him I had my cell phone with me).
5. Nana and I were sitting on my bed visiting when Papa came to get me to rescue him from his "computer emergency." He'd somehow gotten a folder full of pictures stuck in the sidebar of his desktop and couldn't figure out how to get it off there. He said he let it frustrate him for a few days, then he remembered "the cavalry is coming" and waited for me to arrive. I figured it out relatively quickly, and he thanked me at least 5 times and told me how proud he is of me before he went to bed. It's the little things, I guess.
6. As he was shutting things down for the night, he told me NOT to turn the TV off in the living room (the one beside the "happy tree" aka: Christmas Tree that hasn't been taken down yet) -- said when he turns it off, it gets fuzzy and has to be reset, then he winked and told me, "Besides, when it dies, I can buy a new one ... a bigger one!"
This is just Day One, folks.
1 comment:
Wow, your Papa is a character. I guess I see where you get it from. The matchmaking cracked me up. :)
Post a Comment