Friday, April 30, 2010

Nothing New Under the Sun

I am no less arrogant than any other generation when it comes to thinking that I'm learning, experiencing, or discovering something entirely new.  I've mentioned in the past how thankful I am for the fact that Jesus satisfies.    That truth just creates such a deep peace in me.  And, honestly, I've felt very innovative in recognizing that incredible truth and bringing it here to share with you.  Satisfaction is something so many of us search for and never find apart from Christ.
Then, tonight, as I came home and was getting ready to lay down, I caught myself humming a very old tune.  It was one of the first songs I ever remember learning in church.  In fact, when I was very, very young, my poor mom was terribly confused at home one day when I kept asking her to "sing saintyfive, mama, sing saintyfive!"  She had no idea what I was talking about, and I didn't understand why she wouldn't just sing it for me.  It all became abundantly clear a couple of weeks later in church when the chorus began and I jumped up and down and told her, "Saintyfive!" with a triumphant grin.  Here's how that very old song goes ...

I am satisfied, satisfied with Jesus
I am satisfied, satisfied with Him
Every need has been supplied
Praise the Lord I'm satisfied 
Oh, I'm satisfied, satisfied with Him!

Let me glory in the Lord
Let me glory in the Lord
And let my one desire be
To lift my Jesus higher (both arms straight up in the air here! super important to preschoolers)
Let me glory in the Lord!

I am satisfied, satisfied with Jesus ...

You get the idea!

So it seems that my new revelation of satisfaction in Christ is not only old news to the world in general, but also something I "learned" a very long time ago!

2 comments:

Amanda said...

It may not be new but it certainly has been largely lost and in need of rediscovering. I think it's safe to say it wasn't new when that song was penned either, but rather some other soul's attempt to convince his own generation that true satisfaction lies in Christ. We can be sure that in every generation there is someone preaching this message...and we might just be a part of that in this generation. After all, when the heart discovers this truth, it's just too important not to share. I love that you share it and know God will use it to stir people's hearts and point them to Him. Love you!

Amanda said...

...not just too important not to share, but I'm not sure we could really keep ourselves from sharing it, even if we wanted to. And why would we? Okay...just wanted to add that. :)