Saturday, November 15, 2008

The Fringes

I had a "why?" moment with God last night. I was laying in bed, thinking about various things, and one frustration in particular. I see God's hand clearly in the situation, but I don't understand the way He's moving at the moment. As I lay there discussing my thoughts on the matter with Him, I finally got up the courage to ask what was really in my heart. "But, why? Why is it this way? Why this timing? Why something painful that frustrates me so?"
About that time, my iPod switched songs. My iPod is almost always set to "random shuffle" when I'm home. I love that it can go from Rascal Flatts to the Prestonwood Choir and Orchestra to Eleven Fingered Charlie to Brooke Frasier to Bing Crosby. It amuses me. And, occassionally, I'm absolutely convinced God orchestrates things just so the song I need to hear plays when I need it most. That's why I had to smile when Shane and Shane's "Fringes" played right after my questioning God's ways in my life.
"Fringes" comes straight from Job and is all about God's majesty and authority over all creation. Job, being utterly confused by God's ways in his life is not given a direct answer to the "why?" question, only reminded of exactly who God is. And, in that moment last night, that was exactly the answer I needed. I don't honestly need to understand right now, only to be reminded that I've put my hope in a massive God who is utterly capable.
"Behold, these are but the fringes of his ways,and how small a whisper do we hear of him! But the thunder of his power who can understand?" Job 26:14

No comments: