Bless the Lord, O my soul,
and all that is within me,
bless His holy name.
Bless the Lord, O my soul,
and forget none of His benefits;
who pardons all your iniquities,
who heals all your diseases;
who redeems your life from the pit,
who crowns you with lovingkindness and compassion;
who satisfies your years with good things, so that your youth is renewed like the eagle!
Psalm 103:1-5
Dear Loved Ones,
I heard someone say once that "Thanksgiving is how we live our lives when we're truly grateful for all the blessings we've received." It's not about a day or aseason, but that doesn't keep me from loving the opportunity to take time, with so many others, to express gratitude for a very full life. God has been ridiculously kind to me, and I could never, with words, fully express the gratitude that deserves. Perhaps, in light of God's goodness, Thanksgiving is a better time for us to make fresh resolutions than New Years? Just a thought.
Where should I begin the list this year? I hardly know to tell you the truth. In past years, I've made lists by category or by alphabet. Somehow, this year, it seems appropriate to just walk through the year. It's been a HUGE one in my little life. And, each of you has been a part of it in some measure, no doubt.
January began with a CWJC State Leadership Retreat, and an amazing group of women from Baytown who introduced me to tee-pee time. The tears and the laughter of those nights have warmed me through many days this year. And, of course, January ended with a grand celebration of Papa's 40 years of ministry at the Rio Hondo Baptist Church. The inspiration of his ongoing legacy there, challenges me to press on during the difficult weeks.
February brought a great victory in my culinary attempts when I successfully made not one, but TWO, Tres Leches cakes from scratch! February also brought Kimbo and Jeremy back to the area and gave me the opportunity to renew a precious friendship. Their home has provided hospitality, laughter, and refuge after many a long day this year.
March began with an opportunity to speak to the women of Wedgwood at FACETS about the subject of "saturating" their lives in the Word of God. I was so blessed to have the opportunity to share what the Lord had been teaching me and to have such amazing, supportive friends who know me so well, but came to my session anyway! March also brought my first opportunity for a little physical challenge as Erika and I signed up for and completed the Butterfly Boogie 5K benefitting the World Craniofacial Foundation. Rarely have I known such a thrill as crossing that finish line! And, little did I know that it would be just the beginning of my thirst for athletic achievement. (Who in the world becomes an "athlete" at 29?!?)
In April, I nearly bought a house. And, I completed another 5K benefitting the Women's Center of Tarrant County. I am still not entirely sure what the house thing was about. I know I was supposed to go through that process, to learn all that I did about the market and the issues involved in purchasing a home. I even made an offer! But, when the seller counter-offered, and I knew I could stop right there, I was so RELIEVED. I was not ready for that commitment, but it took getting that far into the process to figure that out. Looking back, I'm still so thankful I went that far, and even more thankful I stopped.
I have one word for May. Peru. I'm sure I did other things that month, but that's what stands out on my calendar. 11 days in Peru. Overnight flights, mototaxies, 8 hour boat rides, hammocks, mosquitoes, openair worship services, Amazon river baptisms, mud volleyball, glorious scenery, and the incredible provision of God. And, the lesson from those fateful days was the simple glory of the Gospel. Salvation is still the greatest news ever shared with mankind. Jesus, the Way, the Truth, and the Life is a message that transcends every culture.
In June, I had the joy of taking my beloved [YOOJ]ers through Habakkuk, the story of one faithful prophet's determination to put all his hope in the steadfast character of a good God and wait patiently for God's glory to be revealed despite the dismal circumstances around him. I think one of the reasons I love teaching God's Word so much is that it's impossible to prepare to teach anything without out learning the lessons first. I am always changed in the preparation of delivering a lesson from the Word of God. June also brought VBS and a week of rocking babies and the joy of making new friends in the pre-school ministry. The blessing of that week was finding out that I really do enjoy rocking babies -- then returning them to their moms! ;-)
July was a very busy month. Joanna moved back from Dubai, and we became roommates. Almost as soon as she got here, we began remodeling/updating the house including new paint in the kitchen, bathroom, entryway, den, bedrooms, and new flooring in the kitchen and bathroom, not to mention all the work her mom did in the yard and garage! Joanna is one of my oldest friends from my time in Fort Worth. I often tell people that when I first visited Wedgwood, she decided we were going to be friends and that was the end of it. She's been away for four years, and we've both changed a lot in that time, but it's been sweet to find that we haven't outgrown our friendship. July also brought a week of CWJC Level 2 certification training in Dallas. Any opportunity to be with my CWJC family is a guaranteed blessing, and that week was no different. What a joy it is to know that I have sisters (and a few brothers) around the state laboring in this same work. July ended with the Awakening Women's Conference in Fort Worth and another opportunity to talk to women about saturating their lives in the Word of God. Awakening also marked the beginning of my newest adventure, the hope for a CWJC in Parker County! More about that a little later. ;-) July was also when we found out baby Potter was on the way!
Josh brought Esther to Texas to meet "the family" over the end of July, beginning of August, and I think we all agree that we'll welcome her gladly. That was a really fun week marked with lots of time with my sweet, sweet family of friends. Gina came up that first weekend in August, too, to drag me to a concert. Now, you guys that know me, know that I don't love concerts. I prefer volume control. However, I have to say that I thoroughly enjoyed every minute of Colbie Cailait and John Mayer. In August, I also attended the Willow Creek Leadership Summit via simulcast with the rest of the Cornerstone staff. I honestly can't think of another conference that's had a greater impact on my life and ministry than those 2 days. I find myself frequently going back to messages I heard that week and repeating the prayer, "God, let my life count. Please use me to make a difference in another life, many other lives." I don't know what the long range outcome of that prayer will be, but I can tell you that when you begin asking God for opportunities to make a Kingdom difference, He is generous to provide. August also included a really fun weekend trip with Joanna and Erika. We did our best to see as much of Central Texas as possible in 36 hours, stopping in Austin for Jaxon's 3rd birthday, continuing on to San Antonio for Kat and Jason's fabulous wedding celebration, spending the night in New Braunfels, then making the most of tax-free weekend by spending a full day in San Marcos! August ended with a Gautier (Horton) family reunion in Austin and Killeen. It's good to go back, to be reminded of the heritage that brought you this far, to connect with family you don't see often enough.
I know you keep thinking one of these months is going to be less exciting than the others, but September was nothing short of wonderful. It began with a girls' weekend in Shreveport to celebrate Steph's upcoming wedding. When laughter is one of your favorite activities, there's little better than a roadtrip with 6 of your closest girlfriends! The next weekend was Stephanie and Ryan's wedding, a wonderful celebration of God's faithfulness to two people who've been determined to trust Him to accomplish all that He'd promised in their lives. September was also the fall kickoff event for the Lifetime Women's Ministry at Wedgwood, a style show benefitting CCWJC! It was so much fun to take two of my ladies shopping, to see them walk the runway as models, and to see them embraced by the gracious women of Wedgwood. By far and away the BEST thing about September, was the introduction of my "Beloved" G2 group. 8 women, committed to becoming better disciples of the Lord Jesus Christ through weekly time together and daily time in the Word. I LOVE these women and am so humbled to be their leader. Finally, I must confess, my favorite pasttime in September was this fabulous habit D'Ann and I got into on Saturday evenings of ordering pizza and watching college football and/or Law and Order: SVU. I mean, can you imagine a more perfect evening? :-P
Then came October. How do I even begin to tell you about October? A trip to Abilene for Linda Carleton's retirement breakfast. My 30th birthday and so many of you who celebrated with me. The CAN Staff retreat at Riverbend where I was reminded again just what a blessing my job is and how thankful I am for my coworkers. The birth of Carrington Maclin Hood. Completing the Blackland Triathlon with my dad, Melissa, and Joanna, a serious thrill of victory. Reconnecting with my precious friend, Rebecca and seeing what God's done in her life. Being elected to the board of directors for WMU of Texas, honored to be counted among such an incredible group of women. Sending Jake, Dodie, and Hannah off to the mission field and being reminded that all of life is a transition. The Wonder House costume party and seeing a new generation of Wedgies embracing life together. Just thinking about October makes me sigh deeply, contentedly.
And, now, here we sit with November 2/3 gone by. November began with a fabulous thing called Angie and Kristen Day which isn't about any set plan, just coveted time with my very best friend. It just so happened we worked in some Mexican Inn, a great chick flick, shopping, and football -- some of my other favorite things. Just four days into this month, our nation elected a new president, and I sat quietly in front of the television, keenly aware that I was watching history unfold. November has also given me opportunity to make some of my most solid contacts yet regarding the possibility of a CWJC in Parker County. I told you that in July, God brought the first of what would quickly become MANY women interested in a Christian Women's Job Corps site for Weatherford and/or Aledo. I do not know the last time I was so on the edge of my seat to see what God would do next. I have purposefully refused to move an inch wihtout His leadership, but the doors continue to fly open. He seems to have His heart set on the women of Parker County, and it's been an honor to meet so many of His faithful servants in that area. A very unexpected blessing this month was dinner with Matthew and Lindsay who've recently moved to Weatherford. How my heart was encouraged and my spirit quickened as we spent time catching up and sharing how the Lord has done great things for us over the time since we saw one another last! November also gave me an opportunity to witness the marriage of my dear friend Meredith to her beloved Afshin. This meant a trip back to Plano/Prestonwood and a sweet reunion with many familiar faces. How I loved catching up and laughing with Heather and Ashlee during the reception!
I know I must stop writing and I should go back and edit, but that's the joy of a blog. I don't have to. I know I haven't told you yet about Travis' Eleven Fingered Charlie concerts this year; my new friends in the NGen ministry; a visit from Uncle Tracey, Aunt Susan, Tiffany, Dustin, Kaylenn, and Tucker; lunch with Uncle Butch; and the coolest new friendship God's given me this year, my beloved Ann.
I shudder to think of everything else I've surely failed to mention. The point is, dear ones, that I have been richly blessed and my heart overflows as I attempt to express gratitude this Thanksgiving.
Bless the Lord, O my soul,
and all that is within me,
bless His holy name.
Bless the Lord, O my soul,
and forget none of His benefits;
who pardons all your iniquities,
who heals all your diseases;
who redeems your life from the pit,
who crowns you with lovingkindness and compassion;
who satisfies your years with good things, so that your youth is renewed like the eagle!
Psalm 103:1-5
No comments:
Post a Comment